It is the first observatory of a university in Germany: the Historische Sternwarte of Göttingen. Already in 1750 a first observatory has been created at a tower of the Wall. 1803 the new one was build outside the city fortifications (finished in 1816) and from 1929 till today a new one on the Hainberg is used.
The most beautiful one is still the building finished in 1816 in neo-classic style with a cupola only for decorative reasons. First director was Carl Friedrich Gauß who is also buried in a park not far away. In 1833 Gauß and Wilhelm Weber created the first telegraph connection from here.
Geismar Landstraße 11